View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #43 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
Wow, do you think I should do this to my GTO? I get about 26mpg on the highway and about 12mpg around town. Depending if I am on the gas or not. When I activate the nitrous oxide system I get even worse gas mileage. However, the car is very fast. I have no catalytic converters on it either.

The car looks great!
Cd reduction would work to improve the high speed performance of any car and is what they do on the Bonneville Salt Flats to increase the speeds of their speed record cars. Since aerodynamic drag is the dominant load factor at higher speeds, the faster you go, the more you'll notice the effects of a low Cd, reducing the amount of power you need to travel at that speed and in effect acting as the equivalent of a horsepower boost at the higher speed. As far as fuel efficiency goes, a low Cd extends the range of speeds where you can still get good fuel economy into the higher speed brackets and a low Cd car will get better fuel economy than an otherwise identical high Cd car at any speed above 30mph, the difference becoming more and more noticable the faster you travel.