View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
It's not easy but it can be done. You have to drill a hole through the remaining part of the stud, assuming there is not enough to get a pair of vice grips on.
Wd40, heat and impact are your friends.

One of the most important things about extracting broken studs is to try to actually go in the opposite direction first. If your extractor will allow it, Start by rotating it clockwise, just a little bit. Then try backing it out. If it gets very hard, just work it in and out a few times, which I have found helps getting it out.

The real precision work is in drilling it out. If there is any exposed part, after soaking it in the WD40, then hit it with a hammer, not killer hard but with some force. It will help to break the corrosion bond and flatten the surface. Take a punch and give it a divot in the center for your drill bit to get perfectly centered (critical).

Drill slowly using the WE40 to cool the bit and help it cut the metal. You want to drill through the stud completely before attempting extraction.

When I could see better and had more steady hands. I took pride in having the extraced stud look like a tube becasue the drilling was that close to perfect.

If you can't get it to back out, then the next step is to drill it out to the threads and try to pluck them out, or even more and a helicoil. "Helicoil" used to be my wifes favorite nickname for me.

regards
Mech