View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Raysp30 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysp30 View Post
I envy all of you that drive hatchbacks.

Who has an idea for how to slightly modify a sedan? I have a Saturn SL1 that I would consider modifying slightly on the rear end.

The only two things I can think of are a possible spoiler on the trunk, if it was the right shape, to help with aerodynamics. Or, I've seen spoiler-like things go on the back of a lot of newer cars right above the rear window. That would be similar to a mini-camback? Right? Would something that small even make a noticable difference?
If I had an SL1, I would either be :

1 - Studying the "Evo Vortex Generator" solution (what you are talking about). The idea would be to have vortex generators that help "bridge" the gap to a spoiler that helps your aerodynamics. Here's the Evo paper :

Research on Aerodynamic Drag Reduction by Vortex Generators
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...004/16E_03.pdf

But, the likelihood of MPG payoff would be much less because the Evo solution was designed for downforce (I think), and was heavily engineered.

2 - Trying to fab a removeable Kamm-Back, probably using lots of magnets. The roof and trunk lid on the SL1 is metal, so you could work with that. The key would be a design that gives you a correct shape *and* ( relatively ) easy access to the trunk.

If I can find a good side view picture of an SL1, I'll do a mockup.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society