View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Honda Gurus - 1990 Civic CX fan switch question

I have no idea why I am having so much trouble finding the answer to this question, it's one of those things that if you google it the majority of things you find on it are for 4th gen Civics with motor swaps etc, and the shop manual I have is total crap.

Bone stock 1990 Civic CX with a 1.5L. The radiator fan is not kicking on. Tested the fan and it works. Tested the wires coming into the fan and there is no power going to the fan even when the temperature gauge is almost off the top. So, my question is simple - what switch actually sends power to the fan? There is the single wire temp gauge sensor under the distributor, and the dual wire temp sensor beside it. But if I jump the dual wire one all that happens is the check engine light comes on, the fan does not. I have checked all the fuses and they are fine, and there is no relay marked for the fan in the box 'o relays under the hood. So, does the ECU get a signal from one of the sensors and then sends power to the fan, or am I missing something totally obvious here? My poor old Civic is ghetto enough with the missing stereo / dash center etc, I hate to have to add to that by hanging a toggle switch off the dash and hard wiring the fan to it!