View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Eastwood
EcoModding Lurker

Gigi - '13 Kia Forte EX Eco
90 day: 31.64 mpg (US)

Charlie - STi - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
90 day: 23.03 mpg (US)
2013 Chevy Cruze Mod Thread

Just getting the thread started for now. Pictures and more to follow. This will be a WIP thread for a little bit. I'll keep this first post updated as things progress. This is my first real mod that's required any creation on my part. I've had the tires aired up and have been working on the driver for a while now.

I don't have the Cruze Eco, which has automatic adjustable grill blocks in front of the radiator, so I'm making my own. I'm doing it a bit different from other Cruze owners and putting my blocks in front of the grill. Others I've seen have placed theirs on the backside of the grill. I'm interested in aero mods as well, so that's why I'm putting them in front.

Grill Covers

Here's what I've started with:

Actual openings to the radiator are outlined in yellow.

Materials:

• Poster board
• Painter's tape
• Pencil
• Box cutter
• Coroplast
• Black Plastidip
• Adhesive backed velcro strips

I started by taping some poster board to the front of the car and quickly trimming it down to a rough outline for each grill. Then I took a pencil and pushed in to trace the line that I wanted for the coroplast. Next was cut, test fit, trim, etc.

With that done, I taped the template onto the coroplast and went to work with the box cutter. More test fitting and slight trimming followed.

Rinse and repeat for the upper and lower grills.

Here's some of the velro going on to the grill (more velcro at left and right edges added after this picture):

And here are the plastidiped grill covers on the car:

Last edited by Eastwood; 06-16-2014 at 03:15 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eastwood For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (03-15-2015), Joggernot (10-20-2016)