View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #39 (permalink)
TheManVan
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I pulse and glide everywhere at any speed, in traffic heavy enough to allow a car to pass over the same point every 2 seconds 24-7. 43,200 cars over the same point for a whole day, but I avoid those spots like the plague.

I coast in neutral with the engine on. Not interested in potential damage to the powershift (automated manual) transmission in the fiesta. In fact that transmission is NOT in neutral as I can feel it downshifting as my speed drops below the point where re-engagement would be below 1500 RPM.

I coast in my neighborhood
I coast when the engine is cold
I coast in heavy traffic whether it is going 65 MPH or 15 MPH
Most people around me are so oblivious they do not realize what I'm doing
They do get aggravated when I start slowing down too early for the red light ahead
That's because they are too stupid to understand their own wasteful habits
Divide my speed by 17 then mulitply it by 100 and you have the coasting MPG, which means even on the Interstate with traffic crawling at 17 MPH average speed I can still get close to 100 MPG.

The only thing I am NOT willing to sacrifice is my average speed which hangs around 38-40 MPH consistently. I love saving fuel, but not wasting time and being exposed to increased danger by being among the morons any longer than I legally have to be.

regards
Mech
Great reply!