View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
markw365
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I used to think like that and evolved to the e-bike. If you are doing lots of miles and can't get free batteries I would not do it. I would end up spending 300-400 a year in batteries(SLA).

Hills no problem just give it the gas. Your data is way off from my personal experience. For me at 160 pounds 290w+/- gives 25 mph in the drops on a standard road bike when it' calm.

I prefer the upright position and manuerverbility of a road or mountain bike. The main reason for the e-bike was to cut the time down on the commute. It great for short hops in the TX sun with out ending up soaked in sweat and when the wind is blowing a gale. It's like eco-driving you have to take compromises. It neither a great bike or a great e-scooter but it does a very good job in the middle. YMMV
Yeah, that's about right, I was talking on the hoods/more upright. Drops got you down around 300w. I'm cruising around 23-25 at 200-250ish on my Bacchetta High Racer. I'm also looking a rear disk/404 front for the bike. Side winds with a disk just push you along. I'm in San Diego, and the roads are actually pretty nice for riding, providing you stay off the main arterials. I couldn't be in the drops all day on the road bike. However I haven't been commuting since my new job is 27 miles 1 way. But I've found a route so that will change.