View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rishar
What did I just do?!

Angry Bird - '10 Toyota Prius
90 day: 62.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Is your MPG display showing any difference? Greatly reducing friction seems interesting, ten-second glides, and fifty-second EoC, but when I see that a light half a mile away will be red, I shift to neutral, and recently, I have been killing the ignition, but I do not think that I can plan for lights two miles ahead.
Killing the ignition is a good way to save on gas. Does cause a little extra wear and tear on the starter though. I used to do that all the time in my 96 Sunfire...until the transaxle (i think?) started making grinding noises after too long of a engine off coast. Says not to tow in neutral at any speed...figured I'd see what happened :P

In the Prius, it's good about turning it's own engine off after letting off the gas pedal below 41mph.

I am noticing a slight difference between the built in MPG and what my fillups tell me. I'm going to do a few cruise control tanks to get a better idea how off it is.

After the alignment and having the fronts aligned to 0 I'm noticing that coasts last a good bit longer and cruise control 55mph is getting about 59mpg average where before it was 56.5. Need to do some more runs to verify though. Also keeping an eye on tire wear as I was warned it might wear on the inside of the tires from doing the 0 alignment.