View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
sarguy01
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Guys, Sarguy stated pretty clearly he doesn't want a trailer, and I looked up the Mazda5 and the website says, pretty plainly, "no towing."

I don't think there are even any decent hardpoints to be had for adding a hitch, and though I'm certain it wouldn't be difficult to add some, it doesn't feel to me like he wants to do something as irreversible as that.

The whole point I'm getting here is you're trying to put the luggage still on the car, but leave room inside for dogs, right?

Awesome dogs, by the way. The picture of the little one at the top of the thread actually wrangled a "D'AWWww!" out of me, which isn't easy.

Your points about the trailer are right on. In my area enforcement on the registration and lights is spotty, where it exists at all, but I'm right there with you about the registration and lights. It would drive me bonkers, no lights die like trailer lights in my experience, and every once in a while you find a LEO who just cannot let them go by.
I don't mind the hitch, but I don't think it's the way I want to go. A roof bag would distribute the weight a little better. But, I did ask for all suggestions and appreciate every one.

Yes, the point is that I need to put luggage somewhere not inside the car. He takes up almost half the trunk and she can sit on a lap for now. But, she is growing and in 6-8 months she will probably be 50-60 pounds. So, there goes the other half the trunk!

Thanks! They are both great dogs, especially with the kids.

Trailers are a pain sometimes. I'd have to wire a harness in, which isn't a big deal, but some of them come with the quick splices (those plastic clips that bite through the wire insulation). I'd prefer the type that plugs in between the taillight harness plug. Plus, a little trailer at freeway speeds can be a pain, and I won't even mention my wife driving a car with a trailer attached. I can see it now, "Oops, I forgot the trailer was back there and jackknifed it backing out of the parking spot".