View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #331 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
That panel forming was a first for me other than banging out rough shapes for rust repair panels. After having done it and looking at some of the utube videos of people shaping sheet steel and aluminum and thinking it over for a few days I think I can make shaping tools out of wood that will minimize the distortion of the hammer maybe even eliminate it altogether.

I have always enjoyed figuring out how to do something without just "buying" my way out of it. When I retired from working on cars, I still had some of my original SK Wayne wrenches that I bought in 1969. I never understood why I needed $30K in tools to get the job done. Now I pick up stuff at yard sales for pennies on the dollar. The wood I am going to use to shape these panels was given to me by the last next door neighbor when they got the house inspected by the seller. Probably $200-300 worth of lumber and all I had to do was drag it over under my front porch.

Pics when I have it done.

I also need to cut the metal with my angle grinder, not with shears, and the 4 double 8foot flourescent lamps make the distortion look worse than it is. Irregardless, thanks to those who commented on the distortion. I want the finished product to be functional AND asthetically pleasing.

regards
Mech

The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-04-2014)