View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
topcat
EcoModding Lurker

Celica VVTI - '05 Toyota Celica GT VVTI
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.89 mpg (US)
I also have the 1ZZ-FE engine. At Wide Open Throttle (WOT), my scangauge indicates open loop at all RPMs, even as low as 1.4k RPM. This means it will enter fuel enrichment WHENEVER I floor it. So I don't floor it unless absolutely necessary!

Personally, I find the best MPG using the technique of hard acceleration in as high a gear as possible (preferably 6th gear) at around ~80% load on the scangauge (roughly 80% accelerator pedal deflection). Once up to speed I then stay in top gear with a steady speed or very slight deceleration, during this period my scangauge indicates 12-15 miles/litre (54-68 MPG imperial). I've seen others describe this high MPG period as "hang time".
The transmission changes tone to a slight whine during this "hang time" period.

BTW, if my rpms are too low during the hard acceleration I get rattle from what I'm led to believe is the timing-chain. In that case I of course back off the throttle until things sound better or change down a gear. Busting the engine will negate any MPG savings!

With this technique, my best 20 mile commute was 58 MPG (imperial). A tank fill up of ~48 litre (55litre tank) gets me over 500 miles in the summer. However the roads I use rarely go over 50MPH. I'm very happy with that.