View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #593 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
wheel wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

If I understand correctly, there is nothing that needs to be done to the wheel wells, other than the wheel skirts that help.

Upcoming projects for me, add adjustment to grill block, and wheel skirts.
*The volume of the wheelhouse affects drag.The absolute minimum has an advantage.
*If the wheels are exposed,they should be flush with the sides of the vehicle and have the convex,full-coverage covers.
*The rear face of the housing would be radiused and blended into the fender.
*I have no data on 'air-curtains.'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
*If the wheels are inset a bit,then skirts can be added which will not aggravate frontal area.
*Full-coverage wheel covers are still a benefit,as they reduce windage losses of the rotating wheels.
*Ford,with their 1984 Probe-IV concept car,had something like an inner ABS fender which contacted an elastic polyurethane spat,which would deform to allow for wheel flop.Ford claimed a 9% drag reduction for the system.
*Some automakers have chosen to integrate engine cooling system air extractors into the belly pan centerline and abandon the front wheel houses as a passage for this airflow.A move which simplifies front skirts.
*The articulated front skirts on AeroCivic are a proven,off-the-shelf design which incorporates the best of everything,minus the exotic materials and exotic fabrication requirements.And basjoos has some delicious numbers to go along with them!
NeilBlanchard (06-05-2014)