View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #94 (permalink)
bondo
Master EcoModder

Thanks Aerohead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Brett,you're 'sculpting' more air!
The extension is just like a box-cavity,capturing locked-vortices off the roof and both sail panels of the cab.
The outer flow is skipping over the vortices,decelerating,and building pressure,such that when it does separate behind the cavity,the vorticity and turbulence over the tonneau is at a higher static pressure; and also,all the flow is cambered down and in which also improves kinetic energy transfer into the 'wake' above the tonneau cover.
John Gilkison made one for the T-100 back in the 90's,and with a half-tonneau we were seeing 9% mpg,just like Texas Tech with their wing/half-tonneau combo.
Another patent?
She's sweet,just like all your top tier creations! Great going!
You're explanation of what may be going on with the wing is why you are such an asset to ecomodder. I, like so many others here, gain from your insight. It is so fitting that a lot of members here have answered the call to make donations to help you out with the cost of your upcoming wind tunnel test in September. I plan to give a little more as the date nears and my hats off to all the other members who have ponied up so far.

I have filed a patent on this device and am excited about the prospect. As with the percentage of 9% you mention, I am seeing around a 10% increase in fuel efficiency with the rear cab spoiler/ tonneau cover combination. Of course the tonneau cover is responsible for a large percentage of the fuel efficiency increase. Since the spoiler will be extremely cost effective to produce, maybe I will actually benefit monetarily from this device and use the profits to get the Aerolid and aero-extender to market also.

Maybe Venture Capitalists will see the merit in such products rather than just smart phone apps!

Thanks again,

Bondo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bondo For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (06-06-2014), mikeyjd (06-04-2014)