View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 12:44 AM   #594 (permalink)
j12piprius
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
cooling on long hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
I also have a small area for air flow due to a grill block, and recently drove on an 80F day up some 1/2 mile long hills by LaCross WI. The grill block was on the car at the time, and I did the following to keep engine coolant temps down:
The temp was mid 90's during my 125 trip, the particular uphill midway, 10 miles at 4% grade and 2 miles of that at 7% grade.

1) My speed averaged 40 to 45 mpg in 5th gear with light throttle, with a couple of brief interludes in 4th gear to maintain momentum.

2) Your comment about keeping rpm close to 3000 rpm is interesting, but seems counterintuitive due to more stress on the engine, a longer time going up the hill and seems it would put more stress on the cooling. Would going a lower gear at higher rpm actually help the cooling?

Quote:
3) The higher engine speed also means higher coolant speed through the engine block, which keeps it cooler than lugging the engine up a long hill.
4) The engine was not lugging at all. I think the engine load was 70 percent.

5) My engine temp usually went to 206 on the hill, but the last time went higher, maybe due to having pulled the a/c fan fuse, though I'm not sure that would affect the engine temperature. I had previously disconnected the temperature sensor as a test and then plugged it back in, so I hope it's still working.