View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 04:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
So, I hit the sleeve on the alternator, put it back in, enjoyed hitting it, installed the bracket, took the bracket back out, hit that sleeve, enjoyed hitting it, took out the alternator and the bracket, sawed off a corner of the alternator, installed it, the bracket, the belt, and the bolts, and my lights are not flickering anymore!

The bad voltage regulator undoubtedly slowly damaged other electrical components.

Having removed the access plate, I am one step closer to being able to drop the rack, but I am just not going to do it. Tomorrow, I will disconnect those last two lines, hopefully they will not bend too much, and loop them, as NoD suggested. I cranked the wheel back and forth ten times, so I should have as much fluid out of there as is possible, although I could probably attach the hose that I used to siphon to a can of compressed air to try to force out the rest. I believe that NoD says that the fluid does not lubricate the rack, but without dropping the rack, I cannot really grease it as he says.
If you grease the rack, don't you need to push that around, instead of air or fluid?

I still need to write a how-to for changing my oil pan and I am working on one for depowering the steering, but changing the alternator was such and ordeal that I need to write one for that, too!