View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
JFortner5
EcoModding Lurker

Ranger - '99 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 25.05 mpg (US)
Choosing a new car...

...well a new used car.

Hey everyone, I'm having a bit of a tough time deciding on a new ride. I'm currently driving a 1999 Ford Ranger. It's a 2wd single cab with a V6 and 5 speed. I mostly just commute with it about 50 miles a day. It gets around 21 to 22 mpg.

I am getting a little tired of the lack of room inside and the truck is definitely aging. It has nearly 170k miles now. I like having the truck bed when I need it, but I don't really need it that often.

My thought was since I'm about to be in the market for a newer car I'd like to get one more economical and practical. My goal is 35mpg highway. My other wants are 4 doors, manual transmission, and somewhat fun to drive. Budget is $10-12k.

Here's the kicker, I was thinking to replace my truck bed I'd get a little utility trailer. I am also wanting to get back into dirt bikes. The bike would weigh under 250lbs, so probably 500lbs total weight. I have friends and family with trucks so if I needed something big that's not a problem. I just want to be able to pick up a little lumber or whatever, nothing crazy.

I'm thinking about a Civic sedan. I'm really happy with the 2012 Accord I just bought for my wife. (We doubled the mpg from the Grand Cherokee we replaced) It's our first Honda and first import.

I'd appreciate any input you guys have.

Have a good one,
Joey