View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
backpacker3
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
1. You pretty much have to test this yourself there are a ton of variables as to that and you should be comfortable with it as well for example plenty of people are fine with a full grille block but the local weather might make ok for that but someone in a warmer area might need a little more cooling. Since it sounds like you have a scan gauge take a few test runs of a certain route without a block and get a base line temp then block off as much as you want to or think you can to see what the difference is.

2 it depends on the intake. I will warn you though before I go on personally I'm not a big fan of doing any kind of intake for added performance be it horsepower or gas mileage so I usually don't take much stock in any claims about intakes. Why? Well as far as horsepower or torque go there have been plenty of tests done that all prove the same thing, best case scenario you'll get 1 hp or 1 foot lb of torque normally you lose up to 3 of either, for gas mileage the majority of times I see people who modify the intake that just started trying to improve there gas mileage so the "results" they see could just as likely be from changing driving habits. I agree you could probably get 1 or 2 mpg but I don't think it's likely. Here's why Im skeptical of that the claim of aftermarket intakes is that it frees up restriction over stock systems but especially recently and with cars like the fit that are supposed to get good fuel economy don't you think the manufacturer would get the extra 5% out of the intake instead of restricting it? Ok rant over

3 most people use coroplast cause it's cheap and works good probably a thin aluminum sheet would be the absolute best material but you don't really need it.

4 sure can't hurt to try

5 that's a personal opinion question so you'll have to decide on that.

If you want to get over 40 quickly though here are a few simple things to try.
Bump up your tire pressure around 40 psi is good and depending on where your tires are at now that alone could get you to 40 mpg next change your driving habits always adjust the nut behind the wheel they say.

Hope this all helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to backpacker3 For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (06-12-2014)