View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelevan View Post
1. Has someone done the math on a front air dam and grill resizing or will I have to test with cardboard so I don't overheat
2. I've done a warm air intake how much increase can I see from that? 5%?
3. I'm hoping to do an underbody pan. Best materials?
4. Vinyl tape over Unused panel gaps good idea?
5. Scan Guage mounting? Anything not ugly and obstructive

Any other tips are welcome I'm shure I will have more questions too
1. If you do an underbody, it is usually not beneficial to do an airdam. Under some precise circumstances, it can- but usually not. Use your SCii to get baseline temps for your engine normally, and then just do the grille block. It's pretty easy to pull over and remove (scissors if you use cable/zip ties). Your vehicle will warn you of danger before you are even near damage.

2. No comment. I installed CA induction and it made it worse- check these out.

3. Best? Carbon fiber. Gets the job done well? Election signs. For <$200 you can do aluminum. My first designs (very effective) were misprinted signs, cable ties, and some electrical conduit pieces.

4. Some tests (I don't know the credibility) show no result. But every little thing counts.

5. Some excellent builds have been done, but I made a big mistake with my Mustang. I put it half way between my dash. I loved having it at the windscreen on my first Insight. Having it closer to the windscreen means taking your eyes off the road for less time- less [eye] travel, and less changing of focus for your eyes.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.