View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I've posted many times before that I can draft at 65-70 on I64, or dirve along on route 60 at 55 MPH and get the same mileage. I don't use engine off so the coasting mileage is higher which offsets the pulse losses. I can pulse to 2 stripes and glide to 5 or more depending on the grade without other traffic being affected. If they are they are tailgating me and soon pass in the left lane.

The drafting part is when traffic gets to a point in density, drafting is unavoidable when average separations get less than 4 car lenghts (80 feet). I prefer 130 feet, but after that you get cars using the gap to pass others to the right which is dangerous and stupid.

I'll pulse up to 2 lengths then coast for along time without my speed changing by more than 10 MPH total, all the time with cars passing me in the left lane, which helps my draft even more.

When it really gets great is when the average speed of the traffic drops down to 55 but is not osciallating too badly, then I have seen mileage as high as 62 MPG in the Fiesta, but in that case everything was nearly perfect, averaging 55 MPH at 60 MPG in car rated at 38 highway.

Let the unwashed SUCK me down the highway, while I laugh when I pass them at the gas station.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 06-13-2014 at 11:25 AM..