View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
texanidiot25
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
You could maybe do a custom metal tube lines in place of the radiator hoses (I used to have pics of a setup on a straight-6 67 C10 that had this) with rubber joints for the bends and where it connected to the radiator and engine. Then grab some exhaust wrap and wrap the inlets and outlets from the radiator and engine... Possibly wrap the side tanks on the radiator too. All the cooling action happens in the fins so it shouldn't effect cooling. Maybe have a display reading trans temp since it's cooler is typically inside the radiator tanks on a typical car.

Not sure if that's totally what your looking for, but that's about as much as I'd want to insulate the cooling system on the car.

The reservoir's main goal is to collect coolant that flows out as the engine heats up (typically in an over heating situation) and the coolant expands in volume. Older cars used to just dump it on the ground via a rubber line that ran down under the car.

::edit::
Two examples of metal ratiator lines:

Straight metal pipes

Universal metal bendy hoses

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues

Last edited by texanidiot25; 07-11-2008 at 01:16 AM..