View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
PaulChristianson
EcoModding Lurker

Not sure exactly what happened to the engine because I haven't opened it up. Judging by the sound she made i think the engine lost compresion through either the melting of the piston or cracked te cylenders. No compresion in any o the 3 cylenders.
This car has a 10 KW ac engine with I think te battery only has 70 amp hours. If the car was modified to run solely on her electric, i don't think she could go faster than 35 mph nore farther than a few miles.
The thought had crossed my mind to pull the 10KW engine out and make a wind turbine out of it. It is a perminent magnet engine according to my research, so it would work.
It is my dream car. It is still in a fixable condition and given the value and damage on the car it is not yet totalled. If you wanted to return it to running condition it would be less than $3000 to fix. But with the motor shot, sell that for the scrap it for the alluminum and do whatever yō want with the rest of the car. Put a turbo deasel and get 70+ mpg. Make her a true ev and enjoy a quiet ride. Every body part on this little car it thin alluminum. The best aerodynamic features of any vehicle mass produce to this date.
I know this insight will not be the last insight i ever own. I would fix her myself but I have more pressin projects on my hands.