View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
steensn
EcoModding Lurker

The Hulk - '96 Ford Aspire Base
90 day: 51.64 mpg (US)

Black Hole - '06 Kia Rio LX
90 day: 39.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to steensn
I work with ACC, I do system integration for the module that receives the decel commands from the ACC radar module. There are several manufacturers with these systems, not just Honda. Cadillac, VW, BMW all have an ACC option on most models that is 30 kph and higher with no collision mitigation. Most future car platforms that have ACC (which I can't tell you guys) does actually have collision mitigation. I know how the whole system works to a T.

The cruise control idea is interesting. It is cake if you can control the engine via a CAN message as in most newer cars. You would probably have to find a way to overide the cruise control module in the car and tap into the CAN bus with a new module. The problem will come in when you go to a cable puller type cruise control. That would have to either have a learning algorithm (which them makes the electronics more complicated possibly) or it must be programmed for that car. Each car is going to respond different to the cable pulling. In the end you'd never get your money back for the system in gas savings.

2006 Kia Rio

1996 Ford Aspire