View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
steensn
EcoModding Lurker

The Hulk - '96 Ford Aspire Base
90 day: 51.64 mpg (US)

Black Hole - '06 Kia Rio LX
90 day: 39.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to steensn
Smaller Fuel Tank

Anyone thought about, or actually tried installing a different gas tank(smaller)?

Looking at my tank (10 gallons), if 1 gallon of gasoline equals 5.8 to 6.5 lbs. than my gas tank has anywhere from 58 to 65 lbs of "dead" weight. This doesn't even include the weight of the tank (no idea what to estimate). If I were to install a small 3 gallon tank (which would give me at least 150 mile range which is plenty), I could reduce another 41 to 46 lbs at the max in fuel, and I'd be operating most of the time at a lower weigt because it isn't always full.

I have done this on several demolition derby cars, rules state you must have a certain sized tank installed in the middle of the vehicle inside the cabin.

I think there are several benefits to this.

1) Reduced weight, could be upwards of 50-100 lbs depending on the weight of the tank.

2) Better gas gauge. I know for sure my gas gauge is completely jacked. It "works" properly, but the gauge isn't even evenly spaces. I don't run my tank as low as I can because I am just not sure when I get to the lower levels what i am really at. I could install a nicer gauge along with a visual look at the tank.

3) If I could build my own, I could design it maybe it a taller shape so that I could get a precise fillup each time. That way Ican always fill it to the same level no matter what grad surface I am on.

2006 Kia Rio

1996 Ford Aspire