View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 01:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf
So is it better to have a really small pie all to yourself, or have a fairly small share of a really big pie?
Articles like this one don't get that.

Tesla's plan to share its tech is bold, exciting, and a sign of weakness | The Verge

The new way is to cooperate to build an arena to compete in. This is about the charger stations and the battery factory more than it is about the car. Here's a more empathetic view from PC Magazine:

Report: Nissan, BMW Interested in Talks with Tesla About Vehicle Charging

It points out that Mercedes is already on board:

Quote:
Such a partnership wouldn't be Tesla's first; the company has already teamed up with Mercedes-Benz to put its charging system (and other electrical components) in the manufacturer's B-class Electric Drive.
Edit: I'd thought my first electric car would be built with refurb Prius batteries but now I'm leaning toward the '18650' that Tesla uses. Here's some background info from Battery guru: Future of 18650 cells unclear beyond Tesla S:
Quote:
Around 7000 individual cells, coded NCR18650A by their supplier Panasonic, are used in each Model S pack. Rated at 3100 mA·h, the cells are based on lithium nickel-cobalt aluminum (NCA) chemistry and feature a proprietary cathode geometry developed by Panasonic and Tesla. Last October the two companies announced a battery-cell supply agreement through December 2017 (Panasonic also owns shares of Tesla Motors) which will cover the launch of the Model X in late 2014 and subsequent Model E vehicles.

But the automaker's official announcement did not specify a cell form factor, and a Tesla spokesperson contacted by Automotive Engineering following the announcement would not elaborate.

The Panasonic cells purchased by Tesla are specifically designed for the automaker and feature a Tesla-patented vent system within the end cap. Battery supplier sources who spoke anonymously estimate Tesla’s cell cost per kW·h to be less than $160.

Last edited by freebeard; 06-16-2014 at 01:25 PM..