View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bataleon
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
A big point in ecomodded's favor for his great numbers is that VW TDI engine. If I had one of those under the hood I would never have gone shopping for a hybrid.

How much weight are you willing to take out of the car? Spare, passenger tire, carpets, back seat, etc.

When you replace the battery, move down to a smaller (lighter) size.

I know you say you don't want to make any modifications, but the little engine in your Polo is only making about 74hp, if you can lighten its load at all that would be a good thing. Adding some aero improvements can't go wrong once you've done all the weight loss adjustments.

I just found an article that claims the '06 Polo Bluemotion is good for about .307 cD, so yours should be similar.
You raise some great points, thanks!

I only really use the car for long commutes (~250 miles), otherwise I walk/cycle. The car's battery needs replacing so I'll downsize when I do.

Taking the rear seats out seems easy enough. I'd rather not remove the spare wheel, even though I've only ever used it once.

I've just got myself a OBD2 adaptor so it'll be interesting seeing what effect these changes have on gas mileage.

Cheers