View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Rishar
What did I just do?!

Angry Bird - '10 Toyota Prius
90 day: 62.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantthought View Post
When my lease runs out next fall I'm planning to get a gently used gen3 prius, so this thread is very interesting to me. I have a few questions though:

What sort of techniques do you use most when driving this? What sort of mpg improvements have you seen from the mirror delete and the pizza pans? What OBDII sensor are you using? How did you mount the nook color?(since I have one too and was considering doing exactly this with it)

Love the thread, can't wait to see what else you've got coming.
There's another thread by Vmann who I give a bit of credit to in this thread who has done much the same things. The nook color I took a shelving bracket and just screwed it into the plastic cover on the steering column. It's connected to the OBDII port via bluetooth and an Elm327 adapter.

From the pizza pans, mirror and wiper delete, using cruise control at 55 I was seeing about a 5-6mpg improvement. Going by a tank to tank fill until click method.

Around town I always use Pulse and Glide techniques and if I've got time I'll set it at 45mph on the highway as you will get just about as good mileage doing that as you would with Super Highway Mode. You just go a little slower

Anyway, good luck with it should you get one. The Gen3 is still a testing ground though. There's a lot more info available for the Gen2 which also has a smaller engine and can more easily get the higher MPG's. (or so I've read)