View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #35 (permalink)
Whitetail Ranger
EcoModding Lurker

Yus i see..So thinking solely on transmission shift points ive seen many many forums on a topic of acceleration that makes the proposition of either shift at lower rpms with more throttle or shift at higher rpms with less throttle. Sometimes the pumping losses and BSFC and thermal dynamic efficiency debate doesn't make sense to me since we really cant be comparing gas engines with diesels since they operate in different ways. And i know my engine makes its peak torque at 3500 rpms and its an over square engine with the cam that's matched to it..Ya know this is a stock engine. Since the power is really made higher in the rpm then isn't it inefficient to try to accelerate at lower rpm with this motor? Its not made to loaf around town at low rpm levels when getting up to speed. Then ive heard others talk about accelerating at engines "peak torque" with lots of throttle and low rpm which doesn't make sense unless you have an engine that's more under square or mechanically tuned that way by camshaft configurations and stuff..I know this is mostly talked about for manuals transmissions but i think it can be brought up for autos too. I brought it up cause with my engine being the way it is then isn't the transmission shift points from the factory already correct for both fuel economy and power? seems like shifting lower than 3000 rpm or even lower than 2500 rpm wont do the job i want for lowering fuel consumption.

Last edited by Whitetail Ranger; 06-17-2014 at 09:47 PM..