View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #119 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Stage 1 ended.. Now what?
-
Stage 2 was not based on MPG so after meeting with organizer Bob Gillespie and discussing my options, I decided to think it over. The decision was complicated by the pitiful amount of fuel I saw go into the refill less than 45 minutes earlier. I expected to do well - but was unprepared for anything beyond that.
-
Burger King sounded good but after 20 seconds inside the door only resulted in a beeline to the restroom. Oh - no - looking greenish and breaking out into a cold sweat could only mean disaster.
-
Escaping on foot down the sidewalk, I then visited the International Motor Racing Research Center in town. By the looks of the folks in there, I could only assume they thought I was auditioning for the zombie apocalypse! Bob Gillespie has some outstanding original artworks displayed throughout the building - if you're ever in the area put it on your bucket list! Those helped momentarily but ultimately I vomited on several prominent streets in the Glen. It was during that time I decided not to continue with the Stage II of the Green Grand Prix and head back for the tiny town of Colton.
-
A more direct route of North to I-90 was in order.
-

Centurion's side windows are fixed so settling at the toll booth was a new experience.

A bus pulling a u-turn was another delay.

As the bigger trucks passed by, I got a great view that few other will ever see.... The underside of the trailers at speed!
-

-

-

-

-

A few hours into the trip, Sheepdog44 called me with the results at the Awards Ceremony. My hearing isn't the greatest so I thought I heard him incorrectly say I tied with Illuminati Motor Works "Seven" for most fuel efficient vehicle - and - would also recieve a $1000 grand prize check. Shortly after, Sheepdog44 followed up with a text message confirming the earlier call info. The news was unbelievable. The rest of the trip home was simply a blur.
-
In fact, after closing the Centurion in the batcave, I forgot to check the sight glass on the 2 gallon tank to see how much was left. (The return trip without the hills of Ithaca/Cortland, and without the 40 mph headwind, yielded a very impressive 190-ish mpg! Seems the trip down, the event, and the return trip weren't a fluke after all! )
-
In conclusion, whence the entire Green Grand Prix account hadth been read and understood, I, CrazyJerry, swear on the original 1982 Centurion plans created by R.Q. Riley, the following statement to be accurate here on ecomodder:
-
This thine Centurion earned its name on Friday - April 11th, 2014, whoa and yea, and the Green Grand Prix issued thy numbers it shall display from hence that day forthright as bestowed by the governing Green Grand Prix committee and organizer Bob Gillespie, esq.

-
~CrazyJerry

-
(And there's still the unfinished business of "the details"...Even the front plate is functional...)

Last edited by changzuki; 08-04-2018 at 10:12 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-20-2014), redneck (06-19-2014), sheepdog 44 (06-19-2014), whatmaycome14 (03-14-2015), Xist (06-19-2014)