View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Federal gas taxes were last adjusted in 1993, and the dollar has dropped a bit in value since then...

The roads in my area are smooth too, but maintaining bridges is very expensive. Not as expensive as letting them fall down, though.
What interest should the federal gov't have in roads and bridges outside of interstates?

They need to stop throwing money to any state that has a bad idea about a project they would like federal assistance with.

Oregon wants to build another bridge over the Columbia to help with traffic congestion during rush hours. They want federal money for the project, and then they want it to be a toll bridge.

Toll bridges are a bad idea, funding local projects with national money is a bad idea, and having a wider bridge won't alleviate the traffic problems that Portland has.

As for bridges collapsing; it rarely happens. I don't know anyone, or even know anyone that knows anyone that has been injured from a bridge collapse.

We probably have more bridges per capita than any other place.

Yeah, dangerous bridges need to be repaired, but danger is a relative term. How many people die from poorly controlled intersections per year compared to bridge collapse? I still maintain that traffic management is a better place to spend the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
It's hilarious when Americans complain about gas prices. It's $5.50/gallon here. Heck, it's $8.25/gallon including exchange rate in the UK. The difference is mostly tax.
It's hilarious when people from other countries imply that Americans have nothing to complain about in comparison to to their own prices, as if they live in a dictatorship and don't have any responsibility for why things suck there.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!