View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #121 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
The new stenciling looks great! I'm interested in what exactly is underpinning the car and just how you got it so light. What's the weight reduction compared to a stock car? I was very envious about how small your car is. I parked next to a Honda del sol today, and even that has got me beat on frontal area by about 5 inches on every side.

I didn't realize you were that sick! I admit i was really thrown off by navigating the tulip diagrams as well. I'm used to having the route handed to me well before hand so i can analyze the road grade and lights and stops signs so i know in advance when to coast. MPG routes should resemble a commute you plan to take 5 days a week. Not obscure directions to a hidden treasure!
Thanks for your kind words Sheepdog44! Part of the sick-deal was likely the result of the 2 weeks of final push leading into the Green Grand Prix, and it arrived with a vengeance!
-
You're correct! Centurion is quite small but I have to throw something in here:
You were a perfect fit dimensionally, and at 6ft I cope and do ok. Out of the car, I felt like a gargantuan next to you. Well, recently, I had the pleasure of meeting Redneck in person and guess what? He is a gargantuan next to me: Actually he's just a really big guy you wouldn't wanna mess with - but history was made yet again and we got him into the Centurion (vaseline and a shoehorn! )... With no room wasted we did go for a spin as well. Not sure what will come out of that visit but maybe we can just say it's a heads-up, something to watch out for down the road ....At least that's what I'll be doing!
-
Back to the tulip map... If Stage II would've been another fuel economy based event, I'd have used plastic bags or whatever was necessary to get through it. Another consideration I wrestled with was the condition of some of the local roads... The visualization was that part or all of the car would be swallowed up by a sinkhole and it would have to be sent home in several boxes via Fed-Ex.... This car regularly sees road battle but not under a stopwatch following a tulip map - clearly that was out of my league....
-
I do thank you for sharing that portion. As close as I can tell, Centurion with us two blobs was within 25 pounds of a total weight of 1340 lbs. This is part of the details I'm getting ready to publish here on the forum starting this weekend. So you know your weight, and I know your weight and judging by a partially eaten pizza upon your arrival, and the ground clearance on your side of the Centurion, I believe you were accurate. So, subtracting both our weights from the total leaves approx 1030 lbs of car. That is within the 25 lb margin of error in my totals and leaves us with an approx 1000lb (+ / -) Centurion in race trim. This is nearly a 200 lb reduction from the original and for the event is ok, but I am reverting back to street trim. This will make more sense when the entire context is laid out.
-
More details forthcoming!
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-04-2018 at 10:12 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
sheepdog 44 (06-20-2014), UltArc (06-19-2014)