View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
Praise from the master; thanks aerohead!

Some of my concerns, as I look at it more are:

1: Theory is block = better aero and air flow through the engine compartment; what are some factors that could contribute to not netting better MPG other than increased frontal area?
2: Does the fact that the lower bumper pulls rearward (causing a "<" shape at the front essentially) cause the grill block to be less effective than a purely vertical or even sloped out (wedge/ramp shape like Corvette and Firebird) design?
3: Should this all pan out and net better MPG, would a splitter mounted to the bottom of the lower bumper make things even better?

I'm over thinking things, I know, but this is what happens when you should be working on your thesis and don't motivate yourself properly...

The springs are rusty and fragile, I might switch to bungee cord but then again, if I go deeper (and am thinking wider to block front tires, I'm worried about the extra resistance flexing the springs just while running down the road. Also the shield that dam mounts to is only zip tied to the car up the front because of some damage to the rear of the bumper supports so I'm a little worried about extending anything that would possibly try to rip the zip ties out while on the road.
*Adding frontal area is supposed to be a no-no,unless it's a purely track vehicle.
On a race track,an airdam with 3-inches ground clearance was measured by Feysal Ahmed Adem to be a % lower drag than a non-intrusive design.(This research sheds light on CAR and DRIVER's Crisis Fighter Pinto of 1974,where they used this really low airdam with success).'bondo' fabricated the most beautiful composite airdam only to see his mpg suffer a bit on his F-150,and ended up having to raise it up more flush with all the naughty bits.
Other than the height,the only thing I can think of offhand is wrapping the corners around even with the Saturn's sides,to get the air around the front tires and directed to the rear.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Your approach clearance limits what you can do with air dam placement,so you'll have to just make the best out of what you have.
Chrysler noodled the air dam on their original Daytona Charger,and it's quite a bit like your situation.It's going to reduce lift,help direct air where it's more beneficial,and reinforce your forward stagnation point.Here's the Charger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------*The splitter would be great if you had the clearance,but don't sweat it if you can't.A movable air dam as VOLVO has already done would be a solution,but more intensive as a project.
spacemanspif (06-23-2014)