View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #128 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)

Exhibit 1: Running in Ski-Doo boot vs Sneakers.
-
Many moons ago I used to dabble in the sport of Triathlon. During those years with the help of my best friend and fiercest competitor, I realized the value of lightweight, or stated differently, getting rid of excess weight. This really starts to take its toll when you're continually denied winning and one of the most glaring items seems to be those super-lightweight wheels on their bike.
-
This Centurion has had its share of 13" wheels, and due to the odd 95.25mm pcd (bolt circle), they are hard to come by. The original steelies are not really that light in spite of all the little holes in them:
-

Adding disc covers only made the weight problem worse, not to mention throwing off the balance:

Then there was some American Racing Wheels (NOS 1982). These were a 100mm pcd so I had to get adapters... Another bad move. The wheels were heavier than the steelies and the adapters didn't center well so the ride was like driving over an endless set of railroad tracks:

Then there was a nice set of American Racing Libre wheels. They looked nice, balanced well, but these too were heavy...

Continuing the search, it was a miracle that I stumbled on the ad for the wheels that were on the original Centurion! All I had to do was give up my life's savings - done! The wheels needed refinishing which took only 2 weeks or hard labor, and when I mounted them on the car I may have had an orgasm! That blissful moment faded however when I actually drove the car. It felt like honey. Thick gooey honey..
-
The most beautiful wheels I ever saw were pigs - oink - oink!

-
With just a few days before the Green Grand Prix, the sky opened up and a brillant beam shone. When the beam finally ascended back up into the clouds, a wonderful set of wheels remained! They were new, drilled for the 95.25mm pcd, had a retro look, came prebalanced, and-yes! were advertised at a mere 9 pounds!!! "BUY IT NOW"! Thank you VTO wheels!
-

These wheels are also very easy to fit coroplast wheel discs to. (I had these at the Green Grand Prix just in case...)

So, ending Exhibit 1 - the wheels:
-
VTO Retro - 9 lbs
With 155x80r/13" tires - 12.5 lbs
-
Wheel/tire combo - 21.5 lbs
-
~CrazyJerry
-
...Wow, it's after midnight... Over and out!

Last edited by changzuki; 08-04-2018 at 10:16 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (06-22-2014), redneck (06-22-2014)