View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
bobdbilder
EcoModding Lurker

Knight - '03 Proton Waja
90 day: 37.15 mpg (US)

Whoopee - '01 Proton Wira 1.3 Aeroback
90 day: 38.69 mpg (US)
I finally had a rocker switch installed on one of the blank pads on the dash. Set Zero Position (meant for eco at -25degrees) and Set Span Position (meant for high drag at +30degrees). Did 2 x 22km average 80km/h (sorry wont be doing conversions this time around) runs on same route on 21 June. First run 4.3l/100km (indicated). On the second run one of the pins was accidentally dislocated 1/3 of the route. So the servo lost control of the flap. I could hear the metal link hitting the rear window. But amazingly had a recording of 4.0l/100km. Effectively that flap/spoiler was just hanging by the shafts and it moved according to the air momentum. The flap weighs approximately 120g. Its approximately 45mm from center of the shaft axis to the edge. I could only imagine that the angle would change with different speeds/mass flow. Interesting. It would seem you don't need control. Just weigh it down to force air to move over the hatch.

However, I really doubt anybody would buy a flappy spoiler no matter how good it works

Last edited by bobdbilder; 06-23-2014 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Added more thoughts.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobdbilder For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-23-2014)