View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #30 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
What you're doing is adding stop-start, but only doing anything on the stop side. Killing the injectors/fuel pump will stop the engine, turning them back on doesn't restart it if you're not moving/in gear, just like how your can doesn't start when you turn it to "run". You have to get the engine spinning again, either with the starter motor or the transmission if you're moving.
And a manual transmission would be of aid. Or is there a way to restart the engine with an automatic transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
In the build I used (adapted from others here at EM) I cut into the grounding wire for the fuel injectors. That will immediately shut down the engine, far better than the killing the fuel pump. A momentary switch for the injector kill and another for the start button, mounted right next to each other, maybe on the shifter itself. And there you go... DIY stop/start.
That's useful, Thanks. I'm thinking of sending the Gauge in to update the firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Killing the injectors while stopped kills the motor period, then it has to be restarted. Your van has this feature and as pointed out is done with the key. A hybrid does what you want automatically using only the brake and accelerator pedals. The hybrid can do this because it has a big battery and an electric motor capable of moving the car. So when you stop it killed or already had killed the gas motor, when you push the accelerator to go it starts moving the car with the electric motor and then restarts the gas motor but you hardly notice.
If its a problem with the scanguage powering down, wire it to a power supply that works with the key in the accessory posisition not just the run posisition, and don't turn the van key all the way to off just to accessory. Maybe your van is also diverting all power to the starter when you turn the key then I don't know.
I would not reccomend doing engine off coasting in that van. The power brakes will work fine for a little bit but then you will lose power assist and it will take much, much more effort to stop as well as losing power steering. Also you cannot restart it unless you come to a complete stop and put it in park.
Thanks. Actually, I can re-start the engine in neutral with the van in "Accessory" mode. I've done it multiple times although it made a rather odd noise when I did it.

When I tried EOCing, I never did turn the key all the way off. I'd stick the van in Neutral and then switch to Accessory mode and back to Run fast (Which I later found shoots gas into the engine prior to starting it) and that would mess up the ScanGauge II readings in this particular Van/SGII Firmware combination. I also am able to maneuver the van without a power assist although it does require more muscle, And I'm sure I can stop the car without power brakes too as long as I press hard enough although I haven't done it much yet - In the driveway? Yes. On the road? That's an idea that has opportunity to come to fruition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
At Permalink #6 we get the real question. First off, 9999 is not infinity. Does the Scanguage actually display the ∞ character?

What you are asking is: Is there any way to hack the Scanguage to provoke an error condition (possibly a buffer over-run) that will display erronious information. That should suggest some strategies.

My question is: Why?
No, The "9999" figure is as close to the infinite symbol as that gauge gets. I'm asking how to get the van into a "No fuel is being put in" mode.