View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder
 
NoD~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 463

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 74.64 mpg (US)
Thanks: 13
Thanked 237 Times in 127 Posts
Transforming my trailer via "the template"

So I bought this old trash trailer a while back. It's been handy. Use it for dump runs, camping, getting lumber, whatever. But... it's falling apart!

Here it is when I first got it...


The final straw was when I took it camping and the tarp was blowing all over and things fell out... that's a huge no no for me. My car also wasn't liking pulling it with as much weight as it had, not to mention jumping on the highway with it, was tough to pull. So...

The new trailer's design must be as reasonably aerodynamic as possible to make it easier on my little car to pull. On top of that, the lowest weight possible, without sacrificing the strength needed. Finally, go to LED lighting to take a little less electrical drag off the car. With all that in mind... here's the log!

I used the template and Google Sketchup to design it. Here's the overall view of that combo...


I designed it to use a 2' high sheet for all the sides and went up from there. This gives me enough room to do what I need and makes it easier to use a 4 x 8 sheet cut in half.

So, I made the new sides... (Ignore all the crap in the background, this new trailer should inspire me to clean it all)


Started the top...


Top almost done...


Found a sheet of coroplast for $5 locally that was larger than a 4x8, so it covered the entire top without using multiple sheets! It was damaged, hence the $5 price tag...


Top opens...


After doing the sides and the top, I decided the floor was pretty trashed, plus the folding feature of the trailer was unneccesary, so I removed the original flooring and bolted the thing together, then added a new sheet...


Threw together a partial belly pan...


Gave the axle bar a tail (used Sketchup and template to give me a good idea on the size/shape) and closed up the bottom...


Ran out of silver duct tape, had to go to my red reserves... lol! (More crap everywhere... swear it'll get cleaned after this trailer's ready!)


Primer all. I will be painting it the same color as my car ultimately...


And finally, where I'm at right now: The tail! Here is the template I'll be using to route out the main frame...


I still have a lot of work to do. The tail is going to be a challenge, but it's mostly designed. Just lots of angles to be had!

I should have most of this trailer done in the next week, weather and time permitting. I'll keep this original post updated.

  Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NoD~ For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-23-2014), BamZipPow (06-25-2014), California98Civic (06-26-2014), ChazInMT (06-29-2014), Flakbadger (06-23-2014), JasonG (07-02-2014), oldtamiyaphile (06-24-2014)