View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
DOFZO
EcoModding Lurker

SLOMOTO - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 56.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Well I called him and he said it runs great, but the bearing or something is making a weird noise when it's in gear, he said when you push the clutch, it goes away. If he wasn't so damn far away, I would go look at it today, but it's a 40 mile each way round trip, and I don't even have the money with my anyway, it's at home. If anyone else lives around and wants to go grab it, please do. I would hate to see some hot rod kid pick this up and ricer it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
IIRC, that's an indicator of a problem with the input shaft bearing or the throwout bearing. The latter is easier to remedy than the former. Both require removing the transmission. The part itself is only like $100 but the labor is much costlier (unless you invest your own time, then you get slave wages).
From the description the current owner gave you it would be the input shaft bearing (ISB). It's not a cheap fix if you don't know how to rebuild transmissions.

ZO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
If my hypermiling in the Insight cancels out the effects of just one gap toothed git-er-done in his big dumb F250 dually with his inbred kids and pitbull hanging off the side rails in the back, glaring at me as they roll coal around me . . . . . then maybe there will be some gas left when my grand kids start to drive.