View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Blue Bomber
EcoModding Lurker

MR2 - '93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
90 day: 22.92 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Blue Bomber
The issue with that is, you have to wait 30 min - 1 hr before driving. The Prius' system is instant. Adding a block heater as well will defintely help considerably, though, especially with engine wear and drag created by thick oil.

The easiest way I can think of for an instant system is to tap the coolant drain plug on the block and run a braided line to an accumulator. These are usually made for oil for prelube purposes, but should also be able to use coolant. It's a piston inside a chamber that will release and collect fluid depending on pressure, or by using a hand operated valve. Just insulate it, open the valve to collect hot coolant (pressure is much higher when hot), close the valve and shut the car off. Get back in later, open the valve to release the warm/hot coolant, and start the car. There are even remote mount electronically controlled valves if you don't want to mount the accumulator in the cabin.

The only issue I see here is with the capacity of the system. The largest normal oil accumulators I've seen are 3qt, but it's possible they may be produced in larger sizes. Does anyone know how much coolant the Prius collects?