View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #82 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enki View Post
I forget if the "fatter" charging cells have a higher leak rate (my earlier posted results may bear this out...?) but I'd wager that if balancing is not required after the initial charge (all cells at a safe voltage, starting from 0v) then it shouldn't be required at all (potentially, of course; this would require repeated, analytical testing which I'm too lazy to do).
I'll add this one to my to do list, although it'll have to wait until I buy another set of capacitors since all of mine are already soldered up with balance circuits.

Quote:
The numbers were pretty sobering, for sure. What I did was close everything up, key off, then I put my multimeter in line with the positive and the battery to find the draw. Then, I set up the cap bank, withe the multimeter set up to measure voltage only (lest the meter catch fire), started the car up until voltage stabilized, then shut it down and watched the draw.
Try getting a reading hours after not touching the car, or the next day, taking care not to disconnect power to the car when hooking up the meter (tricky, but doable). Cycling power to the car computer will put it back in high draw mode.

You can also start pulling fuses while keeping your ammeter connected to see what circuit is the one responsible for the 250aH draw. That will narrow it down, then you have to locate the individual part that is drawing all that power. One guy on Youtube found some circuit near his seat belt was responsible for high draw.

Supercap battery replacement aside, it would be important to reduce parasitic load even with a lead-acid battery to prolong the life. My lead-acid motorcycle battery is still going strong 10 years later just because I've been very good at keeping it topped off.

Quote:
I can tell you right now that the efficiency/speed of charging for those three energy storage methods will be in this order:

1. Capacitors
2. LiFePO4 (a very distant second)
3. Lead Acid (a fairly distant third)
Whoa, whoa, don't say that too loudly here or this thread might go to the unicorn corral, because mostly proven facts based on sound reasoning doesn't go over well with the establishment. YOU haven't proven that it's more efficient to charge and discharge capacitors than lead-acid batteries, ergo you are talking about unicorns.

I'm feigning offense, and don't really care what goes to the unicorn corral. I just find it odd when legit concepts are blown off.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Enki (06-26-2014)