View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 12:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Coyote X
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
To make everyone a bit more confused about the warm air, I am running a megasquirt and wideband oxygen sensor in my metro so I can compensate for practically anything on the computer since I have full control over it.

I tested warm air before running the megasquirt and with super heated air it made me drop ~10mpg. This winter with my car well tuned with the megasquirt computer I tried it again. This time I was able to redo my timing and fuel maps to match the intake air. This time at best it didn't change my mileage and at worst I got about ~10mpg drop again. I ran various configurations to regulate the intake air temp and really wasn't able to get it running right.

Of course I also am running 11.5:1 compression ratio so the engine knocks easier than a stock one would. I just don't think there is enough of a gain with warm air to actually improve mileage any measurable amount. It can improve warmup times though so that is worth hooking something up but it needs a way to keep the air temperature from getting really hot though or any engine will start knocking.

So feed as much hot air into the engine as you can when it is cold then turn off the hot air and let it pull ambient underhood air after it is warm is what I think an ideal setup is.