View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wolfwhistle
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
That Thriftpower Six, aka Falcon Six, can be a decent economy choice, the smallest version at 144 cu. in. could deliver up to 30mpg in the Falcon at the time. Your mileage may vary of course, but we also enjoy hugely improved technology and you may be able to do significantly better.

About your Stang: restoration, or restomod? If you're going full boat restoration, I will only stand back and admire without commenting except to say "Thanks" for keeping old iron rolling, but if you're going the restomod route you could pull the Thriftpower out of the bay and stick in a Lima 2.3 and a turbo, have all the power you can reasonably handle in that old chassis, and still get decent fuel economy.

Sort of a poor man's EcoBoost engine.
I am restoring it, but not strictly. Close, but no cigar. I don't like the original color, so its covered with a Volvo medium Aqua pearl. More of a emerald green; the blue shows up in the sun. The dash was cut for a modern radio and I left it that way... installed a $50 ebay radio and $50 kicker 6x9s. Can't stand the light aqua headliner, so it has white, which is really an off white. Other than the headliner, the interior is the original (PITA to match, for the lack of a better term) aqua / turquoise. Auto with the tall stock gears... 2.91:1 I think... I added after market PDB; no PS; no AC for now. I would imagine it could get 26+ MPG, but we will see. I found 4 on 4 1/2 wheels that I am going to get. I will probably NOW, not go very wide on the tires.