View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
ecomodded
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
I was thinking hard on hacking the Beetle into a Kammback but the costs of materials as well as "wrecking" the Beetle's resale etc. etc. I decided to go with a bolt on design.

So new Plan is a bolt on Kammback with the frame made from aluminum or a shaped hand carved wood ,foam filled and fiberglassed skinned. I have left over fiberglass mat and Roving ,around a 100Ft x 4ft & tools. I am pretty confident I can give the Canopy/ Kammback a factory like finish, with the help of my belt sander and a gallon of gel coat to finish it with.

I am thinking Now , it will be a shorty but a goody , no longer then the cars current bumper , but shaped in Mr kammbacks design. I want to find the lowest cd modern hatch back design and copy it / emulate it.

I really like the Audi A2 's design , its makes for a simple low cd car , Any tips or recommendation of modern Kammback cars I could use for inspration would be appreciated !

I am going to do a cardboard mock up on the car to look for a natural fit of the template / Kammback on the beetle, My car has tappered sides so I think it will be well received on the Beetle.