View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
If it's not in the rules...

Play by the rules, but I wouldn't penalize yourself if it's not specifically noted.

It is a competition after all.
Well I'm not dead set on running ethanol free, and it will be sort of a hassle in central Ohio where it's not available in every small town like it is here in TN. There will be others using different fuels, e.g., electricity and biodiesel that will not be available at the end point fuel station, so there is nothing wrong with using a different fuel as long as the price paid is reported and road tax is added in. It may put me in the alternative fuel category, but I don't care about that. My rationale for hurting myself follows:

I'm not going to win; not even close, but running ethanol free may possibly cause me to lose one place at the most, even if I do carry the groceries and am deemed a qualified contestant due to the amount it raises my cost versus what I gain in MPG. The last time the event was ridden on this course, lots of riders did their personal best. Fred came in at or about 160 mpg on his diesel, and I can't see myself exceeding 81 mpg, because I rarely exceed that here at home, even on a trip at slow highway speeds. But here is the hard part about me filling up with E10. It's not what I usually do. I want to ride in the event, as much as possible, the way I ride at home, and I've used E10 only once, and couldn't stand seeing that loss in mpg. One of the reasons I want to ride in this ride, other than seeing these other fuel misers, is to see what kind of mpg that I'm really getting compared to my own records, and if I run E10, it's going to be skewed.

And now back to my luggage dilemma...I've decided to go with a collapsable, water-proof, zip-top hunters bag strapped to the right side of my tool box. It was $39 with free shipping from LLBean. The box is strapped to the pillion half of the seat and doubles as a back rest. I'll probably velcro and strap the bag to the box. I will probably not pass the grocery test, but it will be close, so I might. I don't think I'll have enough space that is tall enough vertically for the four bags, but it's possible it will work.

I looked at the previously-reported Rubbermaid Action Packer. I could get it for only $7 more than the bag I just ordered. It would definitely hold the groceries. It's longer, wider, and taller, and interior space is much bigger than my box, because my box has alot of indentations cutting down on interior space as compared to exterior dimensions. The Action Packer does not.

The Action Packer is just small enough to where it would sit solid on my pillion seat as long as I bolted it to a 2x12; cut slits in the 2x12 and in the box and then ran my 2 lashing straps around both the 2x12 and the bottom of the box and around the seat; and then latch the seat to the bike. It would be secure, but it would never be used except for this event, because it would be wider than my body and wider than the fairing, and I think it would cause extra drag; plus it would sit farther back than what I want and is bigger than what I want, and I don't like the way the top latches on. My Dewalt Tough box is much better for what I need as a daily commuter, is much stronger, and has a regular tool box latching system that is real strong and real convenient. I want to run in the event with my box, because it's always there when I ride. The bag, unlike the Action Packer, I will use from time to time if I wanted to add extra luggage space for a particular reason. It will be removable, and if I use it, instead of the Action Packer, I will be following the spirit of the rules more closely, because then I'll be riding like I really ride.

I'm going to go with what I've got coming and have fun. Thanks for the feed back. Please share any ideas that could help me have a good run for a one-time event.