View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #32 (permalink)
backpacker3
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
I did forget one thing yesterday but it's not a good thing. I'm having a weird problem when my car is fully stopped it's only happened twice now but I'm a bit worried about it this is what happened though about a week ago I was in a parking lot fully stopped waiting for a spot when all of a sudden I realized the engine was really quiet so I let my foot off the brake to see if it would crawl forward because it was in drive, nothing I look at the gauges RPM is at 0 but the check engine and oil pressure lights aren't on just the DRL indicator. The radio is still on and the car never shuddered or shook the engine just died nothing electrical was interrupted the radio never flickered other than the RPM gauge dropping nothing on the cluster changed either. It it started right back up with no issues and was fine after.

Skip to yesterday afternoon I was in the car with my dad and I'm stopped at a light waiting to turn left. The blinker is on radio is on DRL indicator is on the car is in drive fully stopped. I glanced down at my gas gauge to check where it was at and notice out of the corner of my eye that the tachometer and it's at 0. The engine is dead again. There was no indication it died again no shudder no misfire. The radio is still on never interrupted blinker is on DRL is on still. But again the CEL ISN'T on the oil light ISN'T on and nothing indicated the engine died or stalled or anything.

I won't complain if the engine shuts off at red lights it's like a automatic kill switch lol. But I'm worried that it will progress to dying while I'm moving which would be pretty dicey. I'm going to swap the air filter for an extra I have in my glovebox and check the fuses and electrical connections today because I think it might be electrical. Any other thoughts are appreciated though.