View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
backpacker3
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Are you saying that you can increase the grillblock after painting the radiator to reduce cooling drag? The paint would help while you're at a dead stop with no airflow (radiator fan not on), but once you start moving the paint makes it harder to lose heat from the radiator. So now you need more airflow than without the paint, but you can't get it because the grillblock is bigger (smaller opening). So again, I say net loser.

But if you try it, please let us know how it turns out.
That's kinda what meant. But you wouldn't really end to increase it like say you have a grille block and a belly pan. You'll have very little air flow to the radiator with that kind of setup so if you can get some improvement it would help. This is a situation where you have to lose a little to gain a little (or a lot depending on how you look at it) when I look at it I see it this way, I lose a tiny amount cooling capability when you shouldn't have a problem cooling (moving/driving) to greatly improve cooling ability when you'll have a harder time (sitting still) but that may just be how I see it. The biggest difference I would think would be if it would keep the fan off a little bit longer it could improve your fuel economy in the city a little bit.

I know I won't try it for a little while until I have instrumentation too monitor everything.