View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Hello -

Here is an update on my side-view mirror delete. Since I have learned that a rain drop is the perfect "aero-shape", I started looking for a ready-made shape that would suit as a side view mirror. During Easter I found some Easter Eggs at Target that had clear "pointy ends". I used those as a base to fabricate a passenger side-view fish-eye mirror :

Easter Egg Mirror :

It is zip-tie-attached to metal hinge painted white.

Front View :

Comparison test with stock side view mirror :

Notice the internal mirror. This is a JC-Whitney motorcycle mirror that can slide on a metal stalk. It's not ideal, so it also may get a fish-eye down the road. The main thing is that the stalk allows for *any* setup I want, even a Pirate Parrot!

Current State :

Benefits :

- (As always) 100% reversible. The original passenger side-view mirror is in a box in my garage. The side-view mirror cover is an OEM replacement. The cover looked so nice, I didn't have the heart to mount the egg on it. Instead, I zip-tied the egg to the window air-deflectors. The air-deflector is pre-MPG because Saturns get water on you in the rain and I like to crack the window open during rain and instead of using AC.

- Perfect aero shape (right?!?!?!)

- Fish-eye is all I need with other mirrors in place. Technically, I don't need it at all, but I like to use it to pull up to curbs and stuff.

- Cheap. $1 egg, $1.50 metal hinge, $2 fish-eye mirror that I already had lying around. I used white paint that I already had for paint-matching.

Problems :

- Clear plastic is not optical quality. It is a bit cloudy (see comparison picture). But, it serves my purpose in the context of using my other mirrors.

- Fragile. It's 100% stable on the freeway, but I could break it off with a swipe of my hand. Probably need to un-zip-tie it if I go to a car wash.

I have one more egg if I decide to do the same for the driver's side. But, I probably won't do that because I think a "driver's egg" would be more likely to attract the legal ire of the cops.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society