View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tony Raine
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
1st rig:

1984 ford bronco 2 4x4, my high school rig that kept me off the school bus.
even back then (late 90's), i was "hypermiling" it to around 30 mpg. most of my driving was slow back country roads and some creeping around offroad to get to the good fishing spots. it had a 4-speed stick and no a/c. but my reasons for saving gas were because i was young and dumb, and the less i spent on gas, the more $$ i had for booze, cigarettes, and chasing women. no, i didn't keep any kind of fuel log, i was too busy chasing women, getting drunk, and smoking. now its lifted and gas mileage went out the window. buts its a purpose-driven rig now, its not on the road very often.

2nd:

1998 ford ranger extended cab, stepside, 4x4, 3.0 v-6, 5 speed
still miss that truck.

3rd:

2001 ford explorer sport 2wd automatic.
its paid for, time to see what i can do with it. dying to get a scanguage for it.

i always stayed away from cars because 1, they are a lot harder to take fishing, and 2, i'd be tempted to go fast. just about any car handles curves like a dream compared to my rigs.

but now i'm married and my wife drives:

'08 pontiac g6 sedan, automatic.
beautiful car, blast to drive. she keeps me from going fast in it, haha. came from the factory with instrumentation for instant and avg mpg, tire pressure, (estimated) miles left and oil life. yeah the last 2 don't do me much good, but the others have really helped fine-tune my driving skills on my commute to work. i have found out my explorer will coast longer than her car, and it doesn't drop out of overdrive on steeper hills like her car.