View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #147 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler
This was my only concern with your official results when you stated that you didn't pull up to the same pump on the same side each time for the competition.With your sight glass on the side of the tank, any tilt, one way and then the other, could make a huge error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Even filling from the same side unless you literally marked the stop points the error could be significant with that small tank. Some of the pads at stations are not very level in any direction. And the accuracy of the pumps is another question. By leveling the tank some error could be reduced. Mount a level on the tank then hinge the tank on one side and an adjusting screw on the other to level the tank. A two axis system would be even better.
Well, it seems like luck was with me yet again and there was almost zero chance of a screw-up at the pump. The local Valero we were directed to, only has one diesel pump so I had to go to that one. And the flow of traffic at the pump only allowed one direction so my only option was to stay left to be on the correct side of the car for fuel filling.
-
The external tank was mounted right behind where Sheepdog 44 was sitting - where the headrest would be if there was one. The clearance between the two gallon tank/the roofline/and the length of the hose would only allow it to be removed from the passenger side of the car and set on the ground with no extra hose to spare - so again there was zero chance for a screw up. Even the fill hole for the tiny tank is dead centered, sooooo....
-
On both fill-ups, I did ask the same official to fill to the top line on the sight tube which he did with no problem. This would be more accurate than the full-bore handle squeeze until the mystery pump click-off, and allow for a small amount of leeway in the event things got sloshing around. When I returned to the car after paying for post Stage I "fill-up", Pete had already taken the liberty of checking the level of the pump pad with his Iphone.. The phone level does seem to be extremely sensitive, impressive if it's correct, and it did show the pad to be level no matter which way it was placed. If anyone is in the area they could check this and post their findings here.
-
For the next couple of hours, it was a challenge to create some of the most incredible alternate scenarios explaining how such a pitiful amount of fuel was used to cover over 100 miles. And in the end after scrutiny, all of the stories simply fell apart. Centurion just broke all of its own records! And like that amazing run set by the original on an old stretch of Arizona asphalt back in 1982, this one had a fantastic journey all the way down to the Green Grand Prix!
-
From its maiden voyage on the road I made the statement that it seemed like the fuel gauge was broken. It never really was about the gauge though....
-
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-04-2018 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: High mpg typos.