View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
It looks sufficiently stout. Were the joints glued as well as screwed?

Tell us about the gray twisted thing. Bungee? Taillight wiring? And the holes between license plate and taillights. Rear view cameras?
Glued and screwed. Some got the nailer because of tough angles. Clamping where possible.

Bungee, yes. I wanted to have a bit more support on the rear pulling it up. Bungees were too long, so I twisted them up to give them a bit more tension. I've swapped this out for shorter bungees now.

Tail light wiring was pretty easy. Used 18 gauge speaker wire as these lights pulled little power (LED). I used a trailer 4 pin connector at the tail to rear gate to make the tail able to come off easily. There are also license plate lights on there. Wasn't sure if it was required legally, but was cheap enough, so went with it.

The holes on the rear were in case any air made its way inside the tail. It would be a parachute if so! I don't have it completed yet, so I know it's not as sealed up as needed. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to give the air somewhere to go if it did get trapped in there. Plus... weight reduction? lol.

Backup camera... hmmmmm... I do have one laying around. Might have to consider this option! lol.