View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Will
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
I bought my Metro off of Ebay last summer. It was 280 miles from me. They guy said it ran, but smoked. I figured that I could make it run as long as the front end was rust free. When I got there to pick it up I found out that it was only running on two out of three cyl. I was a little peeved off, but I figured I could handle it.

I drove the car back to my house 280 miles on two cyl. (32 mpg for those counting). I figured if the little engine made it I would try to rebuilt it, and if not I would replace it. The little sucker did it. I was impressed.

The list was pretty long. Piston #2 was cracked from the top of the dome to the bottom of the skirt. The cyl wall was scratched. All of the rings were bad. 2 of the valves were hosed. The head gasket was bad. The front end had been hit really hard, and the repairs sucked. The car had more oil leaks than I could count. The entire underside of the car was caked with sluged oil. The cat had been removed. the radiator had no fins at all. (by this time my wife is having her doubts, as she thought my 93 Buick was great with 30 mpg)

I pulled the engine apart to the block. I left the block and the trans. in the car. I replaced the pistons, rings, all valves, seals, etc.. I honed the cyl. walls and put it all back together. The car ran great.

I finally sold my old car to recover the cost of all this, and have been happy to do it. My wife no longer has her doubts, of course. She still drives her 03 Buick, but I cannot blame her. The Eco-driving game is not for everyone.

I am now lovin my Metro, but still looking for an Insight I can afford.