View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

I thought this was worth noting. Terry is making a more permanent tail at the Vetter ranch, with some upgrades. Notably 24kw of chargers for his 18-21kwh battery pack. Could this be the future? Batteries and electronic components will only get smaller and lighter. It's like looking at an 1980's milk carton sized cell phone. The potential is there!

Quote:
Functionality testing before the skin material goes on. And before I get asked...Yes there are 24,000 watts of chargers that will be under the nose section. Street lights in small towns will dim slightly when I pass through and plug in.
Quote:
When he charges, Terry consumes four automobiles worth of power! Four J1772 nozzles at once! Even tho, it still takes 45 minutes to fully charge. But then he can go 125-150 miles at 70-75 mph.

No electric motorcycle in the world can do this. Terry Hershner is a true pioneer.

Chargers are heavy. But if you want to charge fast, you have to have lots of them. Each charger weighs about 20 pounds which means that Terry is carrying 180 pounds of chargers!

The best place to keep the weight is up front, which is why Terry had to spread the fairing out.

Terry has 5 batteries* totaling 18kW hours of power. Three (integrated) batteries are already mounted inside the frame up front. We need to mount the other two at the rear. Because the nose is wider, the tail can be wider to match. Now, we can mount the batteries lower and wider.

*He has one more 3kW hour battery he can add for record rides.
2014 Chap 74-Terry Hershner's Vetter Streamlined tail part 2